Tuesday, May 15, 2007

mother's day and dead dogs

On mother's day, Lisa and I, and the whole family went to Paxton to visit with Lisa's grandparents. Because Jack woke up extraordinarily early this morning, I was already tired to begin with. We all drove to Paxton in the Schaumburg family Mini-van. Because the drive is long, and there is literally nothing to look at on the drive except for baby corn, I brought my portable DVD player. While Eric, Lisa , and myself were watching The Emperor's New Groove, we were jolted back to reality with a quick swerve of the van. The next thing I know, I am looking up at a dog running in front of the van...

The next thing I know after that, there was a big thud, and we ran over something. I look back to see a dog in the middle of road trying to get up, but failing miserably. We ran over the dog. It was quite sad. We turned around at the next intersection to go a) pull the dog of the road, or b) put the dog out of its misery (I'm not sure which, and didn't bother to ask). But by the time we got back to the dog, it had a) gotten up and walked away, thinking about how lucky it was to be alive (not likely), b) been picked up or dragged off the road by another car, or c) disappeared into thin air. Either way, it was crazy. This kind of put a damper on our day. Stupid dog.

We spent the rest of the day lounging around Lisa's grandparent's. There is a weird family thing that Lisa's family does where they all play baseball together (grandparents, aunts, uncles, kids, neighbors, everybody). It's weird to me because my family never does anything like this. But I digress. Because I don't like baseball and did not want to play, Eric and I went to the local watering hole and fished. We caught nothing but weeds. It was still fun to sit on the dock and cast.

(there are new pictures of Jack on his baby blog)

No comments: